Tour de Fleece 2013

Hooray hooray it's le Tour de France time again and this time I'm in a country that shows le Tour on the telly. New Zealand, I'm looking eastward at you and squinting my eyes at your lack of Tour coverage...

And le Tour de France equals the Tour de Fleece, a spinning event hosted on Ravelry. Every year I enter and I haven't made it to the end yet, but this year I'm trying really hard.

Day 1 - merino fibre, I don't know it's origin or its colourway, purplish, spun crazy fine on my Ashford Teaditional wheel. I've been spinning this on and off (well, mostly off) since February and my Aura was still in transit, and crazy fine is my comfort spinning. Another couple of sessions and I should have 100g of singles over two bobbins ready for plying. Maybe it will grow up and become a shawl or something, it is destined to be lacy.

 

Day 2 - a very busy day here at Casa de Venus, so not too much time for spinning. Today's spin was a mash up of two spinning swaps I've played in recently, a fabbo new spindle from NZ, it is made of Kauri timber and I love it, and some Dorset fibre, from Gnomespun Fibres, colourway It's not Easy Being Green, and I love it. I've never spun Doeset before, being from the end of the earth where everything seems to be merino or merino cross and slinky and slippery, this Dorset was a huge change. It is crunchy and crispy and sproingy soft and squishalicious. It creaks as I draft it. So much fun. I'm thinking it might grow up to be a three ply yarn and then some socks, but don't hold me to it, I am fickle and can change my mind whenever I like.

 

 

0 comments: